Tuesday, November 13
Hello there, we meet again, don't we?"Reaper, you've come again? Come to take away another soul."
A laugh.
Why else? My, you've grown since our last meeting! When was it? Hmm, too many souls to bring back to Hell, my memory fails me often...
"In the hospital."
Ah yes! Your indifferent face pained me, how could you not have wept for him? I was surprised. Just like at our first meeting... The hospital, her ghostly pale face, struggling to whisper her final words... Then the funeral. Oh you were so cold, the only one who didn't weep when she died.
Silence.
Come now, don't you feel any sadness when people depart from this world? Your family members to boot... Or what? The mask hasn't cracked eh? Still the nonchalant little girl sitting quietly in the corner, watching the dead go with steely eyes and not even a single tear being spilled...
"Have you come simply to lecture me on sympathy and grief?"
I wouldn't dare! You know that better than anyone, that's why you don't cry at those funerals. A grin.
Tell me, do you fear me? Do you fear death?
"Why does it matter, death makes life precious, I understand that."
And so the masquerade goes on, your requiem will come at another's demise, or has the curtain already fallen? I am not at liberty to say, though I'm quite sure I would enjoy our final meeting.
"... You've just come to check up on him, haven't you? Seeing when he would breathe his last..."
As you said, why does it matter? You wouldn't weep even if I took him now... Ah well, time's up. Busy busy! Got to check who's next on the list... See you in Hell...
And so the funeral bells sound, deep, resonating, signalling the end of another's time.
Another shall be forsaken,
Yet her eyes will never bleed tears.
She can only curse her indifference,
The mask can no longer be cracked as the masquerade plays, hoping the requiem will never come...
But, the curtains
always fall.